Saturday, September 15, 2012

Home Sweet Home

We are soooo close to no longer being homeless!  Yay!!  I haven't wanted to share too many details about our house hunting recently because it's mostly been depressing but we are finally in the homestretch and in 1 short week we will move into our dream house!  When we decided to put our house up for sale we had a very specific idea of what we wanted to leave behind and what we wanted to move forward with.  However, with the housing market being what it is, and such a low housing inventory,  our "dream home" seemed elusive.  Factor in our VERY picky standards and, well, it seemed we might be living out of boxes at my parents for some time.  We had several features our new home needed to fulfill:

*Lots of space: we intend on growing our family!
*Land: we both grew up with huge backyards and wanted that for our girls too.
*Privacy: we are homebodies and truly enjoy hanging out in our own space with few distractions like neighbors, noise, traffic, etc.
*Location: short distance to freeway as Alex commutes but far enough away to have our privacy and a short distance from a town/schools.
*Move-in Ready: we certainly don't mind projects but we needed something we could comfortably move into with two 1-year olds.

That all being said....I present to you our new home...2.5 acres of heaven in Agua Dulce:








We fell in love with this house right away but it was investor-owned and he wasn't so easy to deal with but we hung in there and it paid off :-)  With a little love it is practically move-in ready.  The property is within walking distance to the elementary school and very close to the town and freeway yet far enough away from everything that all you hear is horses and roosters.  This is our forever home and we are so excited to move our little family in!  The main house has 4 bedrooms and 3.5 baths and the guest house over the garage has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.  There's so much land we can't decide what we want to do first but all that matters is this is what we want for our family.  Don't get me wrong, we love Santa Clarita and all it has to offer but we wanted something different for our girls.  We want them to be able to run around, explore, build things, tear things down, get bug bites, scrap their knees, learn to love and care for their animals, and so much more, all in a setting that's safe and allows them to develop into the bright young women we know they'll be.  Alex and I both grew up outside--and by that I mean playing outside, for hours, until we were dragged back in the house.  We didn't really feel our girls would have that same experience at our house in Saugus and so we saved and saved and saved some more so that we could give them what we feel is the absolute best chance at being a kid. 

The next several weeks are going to be quite busy for us but living out of boxes with two 1-year olds has been challenging to say the least so I'm ready for whatever lies ahead!  We are so appreciative to my parents and my little sister who graciously opened their doors to us during our "homeless" period.  My sister happily moved her belongings into the office so that we could have her room and the one next to it (for the girls) with a jack and jill bathroom,  my mom moved her "office" into the dining room, and my dad allowed us to park our nine zillion vehicles (ok, I'm exaggerating but 4 vehicles for two people is still a lot, and yes I'm embarrassed we have that many cars) in his "beautiful" driveway :-) Our clothes have been hanging on two garment racks in my parents' pool room and we have God knows what else stored under their pool table.  The girls' wagon and surplus toys have taken over my parents' garage and I won't even mention what my parent's poor family room looks like since it became the "playroom."  On top of ALL THAT, we have a storage unit packed to the ceiling and a pod packed to the ceiling.  It is most definitely time to get into our own space!  I will be a little sad to lose all my built-in babysitters (thanks mom and dad!) and I really want to take this time to say how thankful I am for my little sister.  Natalie: I cannot express to you in words how pleasantly surprised I've been by how helpful you've been with the girls.  You made each and every day so much easier on me by playing with them, filling sippy cups, tying shoes, dishing out (and sharing) yogurt, allowing me to use the bathroom uninterrupted, and in general for just being another adult I could have adult conversations with :-)  I know moving back home after college wasn't at the top of your to-do list but having you here made all the difference to me!  Please, please, please don't move to Seattle, me and the girls will miss you terribly!

Well, there you have it, the end of one adventure and the start of another! 

No comments:

Post a Comment